School Site Council
- What is the School Site Council (SSC)?
The School Site Council is composed of equal numbers of parent and staff. The basic principle behind the SSC is that those individuals who are most affected by the operation of their school should have a major role in the decisions regarding how their school functions. It is the role of the SSC to advise the principal and staff on the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the school improvement plan, and to allocate SIP funds from the state to support the goals of the school plan. The SSC reviews the progress of the school in achieving the goals of the plan.
- Why do we have a School Site Council?
In the 1970’s, the State of California passed a law that set up the School Improvement Program (SIP), which enabled schools to receive supplemental funding from the state. The new law also required that schools establish School Site Councils (SSC) in order to receive and spend the extra funding provided by SIP.
- What's in the School Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA)?
The SIP also requires the SSC to have a School Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA), which is designed, implemented, and monitored by the SSC to ensure that the SIP funds are being spent effectively to support school's improvement efforts to attain the highest possible levels of teaching and learning at the school. The Plan contains the following:
1. An Overview of The Plan.
2. District Common Pages details philosophy, community description, coordination of services and SSC membership information.
3. Budget Information.
4. Core Curriculum Information includes strategies, standards and assessment, curricular disciplines and required program services to support the core curriculum.
5. Needs Assessment and Evaluation details the analysis of our students' academic strengths and needs, student support beyond the classroom, staff needs, parent needs and school priorities.
6. Major Focus Area includes our focus area and Program Quality Review plan.
7. Other School Curricular Priorities.
8. Staff Development Days Focus.
- Can I see the plan?
A copy of the School Plan for Student Achievement is available in the school office for you to read.
- How much money does the SSC have to spend?
SIP funds come from the state on a per student basis. The amount varies from year to year with CBEDS (California Basic Educational Data System) enrollment. The legislature and governor can add to or cut some of the funding in any year. Some years it gets a cost of living adjustment, some years it doesn't.
- Doesn’t the state always put specific restrictions on funding given to schools?
Yes, but in the 90’s, the state passed the School Based Coordinated Program (SBCP), which gave the schools more power to spend their funding more effectively. The SBCP allows schools to coordinate some categorical funds (SIP, GATE, and some special education) paid by different State funding sources to serve all students, as long as the school is meeting the needs of all special populations. The SSC is the body that determines whether or not, and how to redirect these funds.
- Can I see the plan?
A copy of the plan is available in the school office.
- When and where does the School Site Council meet?
The SSC meeting schedule is posted monthly on the Pomeroy Calendar, and meetings are held in the Learning Lab. The agenda is available at the meeting.
- How can I get involved?
If you have any questions or are interested in being a part of the Pomeroy School Site Council, leave a phone message, a written message in the office, or better yet, attend a meeting!
Come and join us!
Welcome to the 2017-18 school year at Pomeroy!
Have you ever wondered…
- What are the 5 areas of focus for the school year?
- How is school spending aligned to those priorities?
- How much operational funding is allocated to the school?
- How can I take part in decisions on funding and programs for the school?
- What is a great way to get the latest updates on upcoming school and district events?
For the answers to these questions and more, you are invited to join our monthly School Site Council (SSC) meetings held in the Learning Lab at 5pm every second Monday of the month.
We are a group of dedicated parents and school staff representatives whose primary purpose is to provide input and approval on decisions that will support Pomeroy Elementary in meeting school performance and operational goals.
**Please reference the monthly school newsletters for other upcoming meetings.**
Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing you at the next SSC meeting!
William Lam Dave Yuan
SSC President SSC Vice President